On Friday, November 6, 2009 Aviation Consultants, Inc. (ACI) and the San Luis Jet Center (SLJC) broke ground on what will be one of the nations largest LEED certified FBO’s and Repair Stations. The new building will be located at the San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport (KSBP), just south of their current location. The facility will be home to the San Luis Jet Center, ACI and ACI Jet Solutions and will be complete with 22,500 square feet worth of office space, a 33,800 square foot main hangar, and future plans to add an additional 26,400 square foot hangar.
“Pursing the LEED certification supports our company’s ongoing efforts to promote environmental responsibility and create a healthy environment for our clients and employees,” said Bill Borgsmiller, President and CEO of ACI & SLJC. “We hope to serve as a role model in our local community as well as in the general aviation community.”
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a third party certification program, and nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. The qualification process consists of a series of checklist items and a rating system that is required to receive LEED certification status. Upon completion of the checklist, the new facility will be one of the nations only Fixed Base Operations (FBO) and Repair Stations to receive LEED certification status.
Sustainable design features include:
- Water efficient landscaping including drip irrigation and drought tolerant plants which will reduce water usage by more than 50%
- Innovative wastewater technologies throughout the entire building including low flow faucets, waterless urinals, and low flow toilets which will reduce the burden on wastewater systems and city water supplies
- Integrated solar collectors located in passenger areas will optimize energy performance
- Construction waste management – 90% of construction waste will be diverted away from landfills
- Indoor Environmental Quality – use of low emitting materials (adhesives, sealants, paints, finishes, etc)
- Controllability of lighting systems – increases energy conservation
- Sustainable site which will allow for alternative transportation for employees, clients and visitors